BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 28, 2011

Today's Spook Stories

Now that we've been to Ohio, lets go back down South and back to Kentucky.

While I was writing stories about my house I realized I had forgotten a few. So I thought I would share a couple more about the haints that populate my little stretch of the county.

Lest you think its only the over-active imaginations of my Mother and me that witnesses these spectral occurrences, let me tell you a little story about my Mamaw Mae.

The Disappearing Strangers:

When I was a little girl my Mamaw used to babysit me while my parents were at work. I suppose I was five or six at the time but I remember the day clearly. I was in the living room of her trailer watching cartoons and playing with my dolls when she came in and said, "April, come out here and tell me who these men are." When I got to the porch I didn't see anyone but my Dad. He was sitting in his truck and about to pull out down the road. I told Mamaw this. She said, "But who are the men with him? Don't you see them?" No. I didn't.

Later that evening when Mom and Dad came in, Mamaw told them about it. Apparently she had been out on the porch when Daddy came in for his lunch. She said when he got out of his truck, two men got out with him. One went in the house with him and the other went around the corner of the house and out of site. Mamaw asked Dad about it, but he said he didn't have anyone with him when he came in for lunch.

In her later years my Mamaw suffered from Alzheimer's, but at this point, she was as healthy and competent as anyone else. So she wasn't having some dementia induced hallucination, yet she still stood by seeing those men with my Dad that day.

Other Places:

My house isn't the only home with its fair share of things that go bump in the night. Out the road from my house is where my Uncle lives and where his children were raised.

One Summer we had a pool out in the front yard of this house and my Mom and my Uncle's then-wife were outside cleaning it out while I played inside with my cousin Bridgette. Mom told me she would yell at me when it was time to go, so when Bridgette and I heard my name being called, we figured it was time for me to leave. I packed up my toys and ran outside only to discover that Mom and Kay were still cleaning the pool. No one had yelled at me, yet me and Bridge both heard it. I refused to go back inside the house until Bridgette came to the door to get me.

Not long after that day was the infamous day that Bridgette saw the girl in the mirror. While she was getting ready for school one morning she decided to check her hair and makeup one last time before getting on the bus and when she stepped back into the bathroom, instead of seeing her own reflection in the mirror, she saw the face of some other girl. It scared her pretty badly as I recall.

That wasn't the first time the girl had been seen however. Once when I was a toddler my parents stopped out at my Uncle's house one night to deliver some now forgotten message. When they pulled up and beeped, they seen a girl (they thought it was Bridgette) come to the window and look out, before disappearing behind the curtain. Thinking that Bridgette must have just been scared and didn't recognize the car, Dad got out and knocked on the door. No one ever answered. The next day he told my Uncle about and apologized if he had scared Bridgette or anything. Douglas told him, "Well, I don't know who you seen, but it wasn't Bridgette. We were all gone last night. No one was here when you stopped by."

0 comments: